The Hebron Church began in 1839. According to local legend, prior to 1839, settlers gathered along the Bark River, which runs through the Village of what became Hebron, were singing a hymn. The hymn named the biblical Hebron and the village and later the church were simply named Hebron. The name Hebron comes from the Old Testament and was a city in Canaan. It means Place of Alliance. Today there is a Palestinian city on the southern West Bank, south of Jerusalem, named Hebron. The original church was struck by lightning in 1899 and the existing church and parsonage were built. There are more pictures of the church on the photos page.